Makes: 24 servings
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
275g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
375g caster sugar
4 large eggs
75g cocoa powder
100g self-raising flour
100g chopped hazelnuts (if you have a nut allergy, these can be easily substituted for chocolate chips, or left out altogether)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4. Lightly grease and line an 8 x 12-inch roasting tin or deep baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Measure the caster sugar, self-raising flour, and cocoa powder into a bowl, and mix together. Cut the butter into small pieces and mix into the dry ingredients, before beating in the eggs, one at a time.
3. Sprinkle in 75g of the chopped hazelnuts. If you are not using nuts, you can substitute with chocolate chips. Mix everything together until the mixture forms a smooth batter.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared roasting tin, and smooth out so the batter is level. If you’re using hazelnuts, sprinkle the remaining 25g across the top of the brownies before baking. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. When the brownies are cooked though, remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Once the brownies are cooled, cut into 24 equal pieces before serving.